Wednesday, August 11, 2004

#28 I defrosted the freezer!

Went grocery shopping on Monday, and when I came home and tried to put things in the freezer (the upright in the laundry room), nothing more would fit.  There was a good three inches of ice on the tops and bottoms of the shelves, and all kinds of things frozen into the ice, so I couldn't get them out if I wanted to.  A lot of it was like "Sam's Club" bags of  fish filets, bags of peas, Mexican thingies - stuff I simply won't ever eat, all left over from Jay.  There was so much solid frozen lumpy mass that more recent purchases were always in danger of sliding out when I opened the door, 'cause they couldn't sit flat.  Plus, I'd had to set it on "7", and it was really working hard to keep itself cold.

So at 8 PM I dragged coolers up from the basement, and started clearing the freezer out.  I'm glad I saved all those little wash-pans from the hospitals.  Since I can't get anything larger than a jellyroll tray under the drain, I usually have to put towels in the bottom and keep wringing them out, but this time there was just too much ice.  So I put the hospital basins on the shelves, and they caught most of the drips.  With the help of a hair dryer, I finished at about 2 AM.  I've got 5 kitchen-sized garbage bags of discards, and at a setting of "3", the freezer is easily staying below 10 degrees.

There's SOOOO much more room in there, so much open space.  I may have to defrost it again soon - I keep opening the door just to gaze in at how beautiful it looks.  It's the neatest, cleanest space in the house now.  If it weren't so cold, I'd move in there.

No comments: