Thursday, June 24, 2004

#3 Girl

I still remember the first time I was referred to as a "woman".  It was 1969, and I was 24 years old.  Women didn't get a lot of respect back then anyway (we were all "girls") and at 4'10" I got a lot less.  I was walking across a grocery store parking lot on a bright summer day when I heard a wolf whistle behind me.  I turned around to look, and saw two very embarrassed 12-year-old boys in a car - "Uh-oh!  That's not a girl!  That's a woman!".   Made my day.

Yesterday I had stopped to talk with a neighbor in his yard (the guy who mows my lawn, and who bought the Chevy), and his little daughter was with him.  She may be 5 or 6.  Later, I knocked on his door to deliver some car-related papers.  The little girl peeked through the glass panels next to the door, and called "Daddy!  It's that girl again!"   Made my day.  

 

No comments: