Wednesday, June 30, 2004

#6 Last Saturday

I got home from the Ulster Fairgrounds about 10 PM Friday night, and then I don't know what happened.  I futzed around the house, and it was suddenly 3 AM.  I wanted to get to the craft fair early the next day so that I could go to the Independence Day celebration in the evening.  

I went to bed, but couldn't get to sleep.  I had been working some logic puzzles before sleep for the past few nights, and had hit one that was driving me crazy (turns out the puzzle description was wrong!), so that kept me awake another hour.  And then just as I was finally dropping off, I heard a loud bang, very close, like something had hit the house.  That woke me completely up, and I didn't get back to sleep until sometime after 6 AM. 

I woke at 2 PMish.  Pretty much shot the craft fair.  Oh, well, I can do that tomorrow.    I wanted to get to the Rondout very early in the evening.  The last time Jay and I went to the fireworks (several years ago), we had to park about a mile up the divided highway, and that hill is no fun at the end of an evening.  Also, I didn't know what time the fireworks were, and I remembered that Jay and I had thought they were too early, before full dark. 

I arrived at the Rondout at 5 PM.  No crowds.  I parked only 2 blocks from the creek.  I did notice something rather odd - all the streets all around had signs posted everywhere saying "No Parking, 4 AM - Midnight, Sunday June 27, Independence Celebration".  Luckily, I had the regional calendar in the car, so I checked.  Yup.  Fireworks tonight, Saturday.  Maybe there's other stuff tomorrow?  

The Rondout is apparently the place to be on a Saturday night.  By 8 PM, there were crowds everywhere, but still not what I'd expect for fireworks.  I sat on a bench near the creek and read my book until it got too dark for easy reading, then I looked at all the fancy boats, and checked out all the snazzy new restaurants.  There were two concerts going on simultaneously - Salsa to the west, and rock to the east.  About 9:30 PM I wandered over to the tourism office, and found a calendar, which said the fireworks were to be Sunday.  Sigh.  I headed back to my car.  

As I was passing a bistro, I heard someone call to me from an outside table.  It was George, the auctioneer, and Robin, the appraiser, from the Red Hook auction house.  They had finished eating and were about ready to go, but when I asked if the kitchen was still open, they stayed with me.  I really enjoyed talking with them.  I'm sure George is very nice, but there's something of the devil behind his eyes.  Robin is just plain sweet.  I really enjoyed the next hour or so with them.  

Got home late.  Got to bed very late.  Heard the "bang" sound again as I was falling asleep, which kept me awake again for another few hours. (It happened again Sunday and Monday nights.  It happens just as I'm dropping off.  I think it's in my head!)  Maybe it's time to get a dog.  I really don't like strange noises at night, whether they're in my head or not.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Considering the noise, perhaps you should check into the "Big Bang Theory."