Friday, July 9, 2004

#17 DBA

Got my DBA ("Doing Business As...") today.  As usual, the legal terminology is not so straightforward - they don't officially call it a DBA.  They call it "an Assumed Name", which sounds kind of shady.  "Hi there new customer.  I'm doing business under an assumed name.  Wanna see what's in my car trunk?"  Another thing that made it seem shady was that the county clerk's office doesn't stock the application form.  I was sent across the street from the court house to a deli/newsstand to buy the forms.  They had XXX magazines out in plain sight (I startled a browsing lawyer-looking guy when I rounded the racks looking for the form).  I finally had to ask for the form at the counter next to the door, and the woman pulled a folder out from under the counter.  They must be XXXX, huh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When you operate a business under an "assumed name" you MUST carry your financial paperwork in a beat-up violin case.

BTW - You would have gotten a discount on the forms if you would have whispered to the clerk, "Louie sent me." [too late now].