Tuesday, November 2, 2004

#79 Fonts

AOL offers only a few fonts for Journals.  If you want more choice, I guess you have to compose under some other editor, and copy into the journal, but that can cause some strange problems (the most obvious being that you lose the paragraph breaks), and you could end up with an entirely different, and unexpected, font.  There are things you can do to avoid the glitches, but it's esoteric. 

The size is something else.  For some fonts, 14 is bigger than 12.  For others, 14 is merely darker than 12.  Arial and Arial Black are crazy - what you see here is NOT what it looks like on the edit page.  And then, there's the "System" font, which ignores size altogether.   Also, what you see on the journal "entry" page bears no relationship whatsoever to what you see IN the journal.   Sigh. 

So I have made this little template to help me decide.  If you have an opinion, let me know.

This is Arial.  This is 10.  This is 12.  This is 14.

This is Arial Black.  This is 10.  This is 12.  This is 14.

This is Arial Narrow.  This is 10.  This is 12.  This is 14.

This is Comic Sans MS.  This is 10.  This is 12.  This is 14.

This is Courier New.  This is 10.  This is 12.  This is 14.

This is System.  This is 10.  This is 12.  This is 14.

This is Times New Roman.  This is 10.  This is 12.  This is 14.

This is Verdana.  This is 10.  This is 12.  This is 14.

Note that the Times New Roman always looks like Times New Roman on the journal edit page, but when I "save" it, it is transformed to Verdana. 

I like Arial, but 12 came out  too small and 14 was too large.  Now, having done this experiment, I find that I should use 10, which in AOL-land falls between 12 and 14.  (No, one is not allowed to type in a number - one must choose from a drop-down list.) 

I think there are some bugs.  Again I say - bad beta!!!!

No comments: