Thursday, November 4, 2004

#83 Rebuff Unethical Competitors!

Both toll booths at the bridge usually have signs over them saying "E-ZPass" and "Full Service".   During especially busy times, the one on the left changes to "E-ZPass Only".  When I crossed the bridge the other day, the E-ZPass sign was missing on the right, so I moved to the left lane.  When I stopped at the gate, I asked the attendant, "... no sign on the right lane.  Can I still use E-ZPass there?"  

He answered, "Yeah.  They just took the sign down.  It's getting rebuffed."

I wondered about that all the way across the bridge.

***********************************************************************

"Reality" shows.  Lots of them on TV.  They're inexpensive, I guess (although the best, "The Amazing Race" probably isn't cheap).  Every time I hear a contestant say "I'm a tough competitor!", I have an instantly negative reaction.  I figure anyone who describes themselves as a tough competitor is someone who would see nothing wrong with doing immoral or unethical things to get ahead.  And they usually do.

I'm afraid that these shows are teaching young people that it's rewarding to be that kind of "tough competitor".

No comments: