Saturday, April 2, 2005

#179 Thirty-seven Questions (37? Strange number. Are some missing?)

1-WHAT BOOK ARE YOU READING AT THE MOMENT?

None.  There have been periods when I've read 10 a month, but these days I have so much to do that isn't getting done, I feel guilty when I read books.  I'm not even keeping up with magazines.

2-WHAT IS PRINTED ON YOUR MOUSEPAD?

Nothing.  Plain gray.

3-WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE BOARD GAME?

None. (Gee - I'm sounding really boring!)  I like Super Boggle and Pinochle and Mancala, but none of them are board games.  Oh! - Go qualifies!  But that's not high on the list.

4-WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE MAGAZINE?

Scientific American, Harpers, The Sun - the list changes with my mood.

5-WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE SOUND?

Bells.  All bells.  Gongs, cow bells, jingle bells, any bells, and especially carillons.  I had an alarm clock once that played changes on 10 bell tones.  I cried when it died.

6-WHAT'S THE WORST FEELING IN THE WORLD?

The guilt when something bad happened because you were careless or didn't try hard enough.

7-WHAT'S THE FIRST THING YOU THINK OF IN THE MORNING?

What time is it, what am I already late for?

8-HOW MANY RINGS BEFORE YOU PICK UP THE PHONE?

Rarely before the fourth.  There are three telephones in the house, but the only one in a convenient spot doesn't ring, so even with that one, there's three rings of  "What's that sound?  Is that a phone?  Is it my phone or on TV?" 

10-WHAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN LIFE?

To take care of that which has been given you to care for, and to learn the lesson you are here to learn.

11-WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE FOODS?

My mother's meat loaf; baked potatoes with lots of butter; coconut shrimp; potato and onion pirogies (sp?) made with egg roll wrappers, deep fried and salted; "Muddy Sneakers" ice cream; purple pickled eggs; parsnips and potatoes mashed together; brie on french bread (southern France type bread - not that sharp crusty stuff that hurts my mouth); milky creamed corn; Bisquick Impossible Cheesburger Pie;  the roasted veggies at the local inn; prune danish; stew meat, carrots, potatoes, and cabbage, boiled together and then baked with gravy in a pie crust and served with sweet&sour wilted lettuce on top; boiled then oven-browned potato chunks; ~sigh~ there's so much....    (Can you tell I like potatoes?)

12-DO YOU LIKE TO DRIVE FAST?

No.  I think it should be illegal.

13-DO YOU SLEEP WITH A STUFFED ANIMAL?

Yeah - Miss Thunderfoot.  She goes to bed before I do, curled up at the foot of Jay's side of the bed.  When I get into bed, she moves up to my waist (handy for petting), then when she thinks I'm asleep, she moves back down to the foot.

14-WOULD YOU CLASS STORMS AS COOL OR SCARY?

Neither.  They don't scare me personally, but every time there's wind or poor visibility around here, a tree falls on a line, or some idiot hits a pole, and we lose power for a few hours, and I hate that.

15-WHAT TYPE WAS YOUR FIRST CAR?

Shortly after Ex#1 and I were married, he and his father went out and bought, without consulting me, a 15-year-old Renault Dauphne (sp?) with 170,000 miles on it, "so I'd have something to drive" while Ex#1 was off soldiering in Germany.  I didn't have a driver's license.  The car froze up two months after I got my license.  Whereupon I bought myself a brand-new ice blue VW Karmann Ghia.  Loved that one!  Could lay rubber in third!

16-WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ALCOHOLIC DRINK?

I seldom drink.  Hmmmm - probably Frangelica or Amaretto, straight, no ice, to be tasted in tiny sips swirled around in my mouth.

17-DO YOU EAT THE STEMS OFF BROCCOLI?

Yup.  Raw, it's as good as the tender tips of grass stems on a summer day.

18-IF YOU COULD DYE YOUR HAIR ANY COLOR:

First choice - my old medium dark brown with reddish highlights.  But that probably wouldn't look good on me any more.  Second choice (and a better choice for me now) pure clear white.  That can be done, and I know I'd love it, but the process would be so harsh I wouldn't be able to keep my hair long without breaking and splitting.  Given the choice between white and short, or the current pale ash blond and long, I'll take long.  I suppose it'll get white eventually on its own.

19-IS THE GLASS HALF EMPTY OR HALF FULL?

I started out thinking "Well, that depends on where the other half is" and ended up with "It's half empty - and so far it's been delicious!"

20-WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE MOVIE?

An old black and white German movie - sans subtitles - that I caught on late night TV several decades ago, titled "The Bridge". 

21-DO YOU TYPE WITH THE CORRECT FINGERS ON THE CORRECT KEYS?

Index fingers and thumbs only, but I'm fast and accurate enough to satisfy myself, so for me, they are "the correct fingers". 

22-WHAT'S UNDER YOUR BED?

Several large framed photographs of doorways in Provence, waiting for me to prepare the wall, "lost" shoes, Jay's favorite sneakers, balls of cat fur.

23-WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE SPORT TO WATCH?

Anything equestrian.

24-SAY AT LEAST ONE NICE THING ABOUT THE PERSON WHO SENT THIS TO YOU:

He doesn't often send me stuff like this.

25-DO YOU PREFER HORROR MOVIES OR COMEDY FILMS?

If I have to choose, comedy, then, but only because horror is so near the bottom.  I actually prefer "life story"-type stuff over both, like period dramas, documentaries, classics.

28-WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE TIME OF DAY?

Midmorning.  That's when I feel most full of energy - the day is a blank page waiting for me to fill it.  Too bad I usually sleep through it.

29-WHAT'S YOUR BIGGEST PET PEEVE?

People, companies, governments, who seem to have no sense of social responsibility.  "For the good of all" is lost somewhere.

30-IS THERE ANYONE YOU HAVEN'T FORGIVEN?

Unfortunately, yes.  I try, and sometimes I think I've succeeded, and then there will be some trigger, and the old resentments will pop up again.

31-WHAT TYPE OF MILK DO YOU DRINK?

I buy skim, becausethat's all Jay would drink, and he got Miss Thunderfoot hooked on it.  I don't drink it except like with a spoon in the cereal bowl or in a recipe.

32-DO YOU MAKE YOUR BED IN THE MORNING?

Sort of.  I'll "close" it to keep the cat out, but it sure ain't purty.  Besides, I subscribe to the theory that you should let it air for a day or two after sleeping in it.

33-HOW MANY TVs ARE IN YOUR HOUSEHOLD?

Four.  Bedroom, livingroom, den, kitchen.  Usually only the latter two are on.  The one in the livingroom is the big one with the best picture and sound, but I don't spend much time there.

34-WHO PUTS THE GARBAGE OUT?

I put the garbage out and take the recycleables to the center.  Nobody takes the trash out.  Therein lies a problem. 

35. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE FLOWER?

Peony.  They look so exuberant, smell so nice, come in such pretty colors, and are associated with happy childhood memories.

36. CANDY, JEWELRY, FLOWERS AS A PRESENT?

To give and get - jewelry!  Good stuff lasts and can be passed down.

37. FAVORITE COLOR?

For what?  Walls - pinkish beige.  To wear - pale lavender.  Scattered around - bright clear jewel colors. 

No comments: