Monday, July 25, 2005

#292 Subscriptions

I belong to a local Mensa online conversation group.  Someone asked what magazine subscriptions others had.  I found the answers unexpectedly interesting.  Here's my response, copied (almost) verbatim:

Oooo- I'm interested in what subscriptions others have! Looks like a few people might have the same "buried in paper" problem I have, and your subscriptions might say more about the real you than any profile!

My standing subscriptions:
Harper's
The Sun
Smithsonian
Angels on Earth
(a Christmas gift from SIL)
Scientific American
National Geographic
National Wildlife
International Wildlife
Natural History
Budget Living
(highly recommended)
US News and World Report
Better Homes & Gardens
(a hopeful? gift from FIL)
Mensa Journal
Various short story and original writings mags, as they come in and go out of existence
Various special interest newsletters, as interests come and go
TV Guide
Kingston Freeman

The first four I read in their entirety. The next six I scan for articles of interest, and usually actually read about half the mag. BH&G I just look at all the pretty pictures.

I am very interested in any recommendations any of you might have for short story magazines. The dang things keep dying on me, and all I have left now is Harper's, The Sun, and Angels. The first is hard work, the second is depressing, and the last is brain pudding. HELP!

BTW - I also have several years of (very old!) F&SF, Asimov's SF, and Ellery Queen magazines that I'll be looking to get rid of soon. If anyone wants to offer them a new home, let me know.

~~Silk

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Budget Living, yes, that's a good one. If you like that, you should check out Real Simple.
Cosette - http://journals.aol.com/pandorasbazaar/PandorasJournal/entries/544