Wednesday, July 27, 2005

#293 Tremble

Something odd happened yesterday.  I had gone outside (very hot and humid) to trim the pyracantha and hack at some weeds.  With all the sun and all the rain, they were starting to block off the ramp to the front door.  I cleared a path, and then walked down to the mailbox and brought the mail up, took the mail in, and tried to drink some iced tea.

I couldn't get the glass to my mouth.

If I held my hands out in front of me, they were both steady.  If I gripped something lightly, they were steady.  But if I attempted to grip anything tightly with my right hand, it trembled badly, and as I brought it closer to my mouth, it got worse.  The iced tea was sloshing out of the glass.

Very strange.  Left hand was ok.  Right was trembly.  If I concentrated very hard, I could almost stop it.

It probably wasn't muscle tension from trimming the shrub, because I used the big loppers, and both arms get used equally with them.

After a while it calmed down a bit (or I stopped checking it, I don't remember), and I showered and washed my hair, dressed, went to the post office, took the van to Kingston for its (overdue!) inspection, shopped at Bed Bath & Beyond and Barnes & Nobel, and then went to Michael's Diner for a late lunch, and a Greek salad to bring home for today.

I was very surprised - the diner looked so different from what I had remembered.  I asked the hostess when they had redecorated, and she said, "Oh, about 8 years ago."  I was very confused.  Twilight Zone confused.  I'd been in often a year ago, and again only six or eight months ago, after dance class, and it didn't look like this.

Again I had a hard time drinking my water - my right hand shook badly when I tried to pick up the heavy glass.  No problem with the teacup, though.  It seems to be a tight round grip that sets it off.

It was much later that I realized why I was confused.  We didn't go to Michael's after dance class - that was the Texas Diner further down Albany avenue.  On the outside, they look very similar - both brick, entrance on side, P-shaped parking lot, long ramp.  But their locations and surroundings are very different.  Both diners have new names now, but anyone living in this area more than 20 years still uses the old names.  The cole slaw and tea are better at the Texas, but most of the food is better at Michael's.  On the other hand, the old Indian (or Pakistani?  He likes my saris) who owns the Texas flirts with us, and makes us feel appreciated.  Like he sees our real liveliness and beauty where others consider us ordinary. 

So far today my right hand is fine.  I can't even imitate what it was doing yesterday - I can't consciously move it that rapidly (which, by the way, is why I'll never get that fast "finger rattle" on the doumbek).  I don't know what was going on.  If it happens again I suppose I'll have to get it checked.

~~Silk

No comments: