Saturday, July 30, 2005

#301 Patrick's Saturday Six

From Patrick's Place:

1. What was your favorite childhood movie?  When was the last time you saw it?

I don't remember any favorites from my youth.

First to fourth grades, we lived in a 16-square-block village in Pennsylvania, and Mom used to take me to the tiny village theater almost every week.  I seem to remember they were mostly low-grade westerns, but the theater gave a free piece of dinnerware with every ticket, and my mother was building a set of Willow Ware.  The only one I remember specifically was (I think) "The Greatest Show on Earth", about a circus, starring Cornell Wilde.  It was a multi-part serial, spread over several weeks.  It's the only one I remember specifically, but it was nowhere near "a favorite".

Fifth through seventh grades, we lived in Ottawa, Ontario.  Movies were $.15 to $.25, which I could save every week from my bus money by walking home from school every day.  Walking to school, too, saved another quarter a week, which bought a huge SugarDaddy to suck on during the movie, and a pomegranate to nibble on all week.  So we kids went to the movies every Saturday.   The bus service in Ottawa was excellent and cheap, and it was a safer time, so we kids went everywhere.  We used to cross the river into Hull, Quebec, and go French movies, which worried my mother until she found out that they weren't "French movies" (risque connotation), but just dubbed American movies, and if we took the ticket stub to French class, we got extra credit.  I saw a LOT of movies, but I don't remember a single one.

High school was on the mountain, on the AF base.  The base had movies every week in the tiny base theater, and there was a drive-in in the nearest half-decent town, so I saw a LOT more movies, but I don't remember a single one.

In college, the student union showed movies on the lawn every weekend all sumer.  One year, the guy in charge of selection handed a friend and me the list, and said "Pick 'em", so in fun, she and I selected every Rock Hudson/Doris Day movie ever made.  By the third week, the student body was searching for someone to lynch, but they never figured out it was us.

Many many movies since.  Few memorable. 

Now, about the only movies I go to are the "artsy" ones at Upstate in Rhinebeck, and I have enjoyed everything I've seen there (but there haven't been that many).

I think part of the problem is that I have never seen a movie that was as good as the book.  Maybe "Gone With the Wind" came close.

One major exception:  Maybe 20 years ago, very late one night, I found a movie on TV.  Black and white, only two scenes in the whole movie, entirely in German (I don't speak German) with no subtitles.  I think the title translated as "The Bridge".  The most gripping thing I've ever seen.  It was about a home-defense squadron of children, lead by an old man, in the last days of W.W.II, charged with defending the bridge into the village from the advance of the American tanks.  I would dearly love to find it again. 


2. Who is your worst enemy at the moment?  (First names only, please.)  Why is that person your enemy?

I define an enemy as someone who is out to hurt me, that I have to defend against.  There are a very few people I dislike, and I suppose there are a few people who don't especially like me, but none I'd call an enemy.   Hmmm.  Maybe G.W.B.  I do feel like I have to defend myself against him and his cohorts, but it's not, like, personal.

3. Which one of the following annoys you most when you encounter a new blog?
    a. Constant grammatical errors.
 
Yes!  I assume this includes punctuation errors.
    b. Constant spelling errors. 
Yes!
    c. Contrived "street" language.  Yes! 
<<
These three tie for first.  I'm mostly pretty easy-going, but one thing that will set me off is butchering the language, because unfortunately, others learn from you. 
    d. Too many "nothing happening today" entries.  Nah...That's ok.  It's real, it's life, and serves a purpose for the author (like for me, it lets Daughter know I'm still alive and coherent).

Although I dislike 1 to 3 the most, I will grit my teeth and muddle through if the topic is interesting.  What will cause me to hit the back button immediately is very faint light print on black backgrounds, or too much cutsy-poo artwork, especially if it's animated.  Not that any of that is bad, maybe others like it, but I find it extremely annoying.   

4. Take this
quiz:   Which alcoholic drink are you?

Wine

You know, I think that's right?  My mother was champagne.  Comparing myself to her, I felt lacking.  No bubbles.  But wine's not so bad.

By the way, the above is an example of the faint print on a dark background that so annoys me.

5. What is the last thing you said to a person face to face?  Who was that person?

"Bye."  Thursday evening, to a friend.  That's the last time I've been out of the house.  I probably won't see anyone face to face today, either.

6. READER'S CHOICE QUESTION #59 from
Debi:  When you shower, do you ever think of the Alfred Hitchcock movie, "Psycho?"   

Nope.  Never. And yes, I  have seen the movie, several times, and that scene never did bother me, not even the first time.  Maybe because of the way I grew up, where sudden senseless attacks were common.  I was inured to them.  Which has its advantages - I'm always the calmest person on scene during a crisis. 

~~Silk

************************************

Links in this entry: 
http://journals.aol.com/pattboy92/PatricksPlace/entries/1223 ;
http://quizilla.com/users/truly-dippy/quizzes/%3F%3F%20Which%20Alcoholic%20Drink%20Are%20You%20%3F%3F/ 
http://journals.aol.com/camaroisle050856/TheAsylumUnpadlocked/

No comments: