Friday, October 1, 2004

#57 Diana, Kiss, Red Onion

Lots of things to catch up on -

I had dinner last Monday evening with a friend from the Washington days whom I hadn't seen in 20 years.  Diana, Bob, and their RV were passing though on their way to Canada, so they decided to pause at an RV park near here.  I was very surprised to get her email the previous Friday - I thought I'd lost her.  She had moved about the same time that my AOL died, and when I upgraded AOL, I was unable to get to the old mail or address book, so I had never responded to her last notes. 

I was afraid I wouldn't recognize her, I know I have changed so much, but she still has the same face, same body, same hair color and style, amazing!   She even has the same concerns (chuckle...) - I asked her if she would be going to Rakkasah (www.rakkasah.com, click on "East" info), and she looked confused for a minute, and said that having sold her business (the belly dance boutique) there didn't seem to be any reason for her to go.  I go for the fun and to watch the dancers!

We ate at the Beekman in Rhinebeck, and it was very good.

_____________________________________________

I read an online advice column occasionally, and a woman had written that she had a problem in that she didn't like anything near her face, like a kind of claustrophobia, or a fear of smothering.  So little short-duration kisses were ok, but the long deep stuff made her panic.  The big problem is that her husband seemed to accept her problem, but then insisted on big long kisses at the most passionate moments, ruining it for her.

It reminded me of the one big thing I wish I had done differently with Jay.  I smoked, and he didn't, so I kind of restricted him to itty bitty kisses.  A LOT of them, but itty bitty when it came to the mouth.  One day, as he walked past me in the kitchen on his way out the door, he grabbed me (not unusual - we both did a lot of grabbing in passing), bent me over his arm, and kissed me like I'd never been kissed before.  (And I've been kissed a LOT!)  It was absolutely the best, most thorough, sweetest, lovingest, sexiest,gentlest, most wonderful kiss I'd ever experienced in my life.  And then he went out the door and off to work, leaving me standing there speechless and quivering.  Wow!  I didn't know stuff like that existed!  I melted.  I don't think he realized my reaction.  If I'd been able to get my trembling legs to work, I would have chased after him.

The next day, he had his first seizure, and life got a lot more complicated.  Our touching got less sensual and more comforting, and now I wish we'd done a lot more of that other kind of kissing before. 

_____________________________________________

Well, we all went to the Red Onion for dinner this evening, and it was very good.  I got a surprising response, too.  Lately, most of the group dinners (Ziggy's Ethnic Eatery Expeditions, and the Pizza Sig) have been getting maybe 5 people to show up.  I had 9 responses, and only one person didn't show.  The attendees were enthusiastic enough that I suggested that we do a 4-5 star restaurant every three months, starting with the Depuy Canal House in December, Cafe Tomayo in Saugerties or The Bear in Woodstock in March, and then The Would in Highland in June when they'll have the patio open.  These are places we've each always wanted to go, but couldn't go alone.  Quarterly will fit into budgets just fine.  Once every three months isn't too much work, so I'm willing to organize it.

In keeping with local Mensa tradition (FFF - Fourth Friday Feast, EEE - Ethnic Eatery Expedition, and TTT - Third Thursday Therapy), I think I shall call it QQQ- Quarterly Quality Cuisine.  (Bad pun, but I like it.) 

NJKC, having just had eye surgery, met me at the end of the bridge, where she could leave her car and I would drive the more unfamiliar route to the Red Onion.  We then went to the home of the new widow I mentioned in the last entry, and practically dragged her out the door.  She had tentatively agreed a few days ago in a telephone conversation with NJ that she would go, and NJ hadn't called her to remind her because NJ knew that if she did, the widow would back out.  So we just showed up.  Widow had forgotten (of course) and had already eaten dinner, but we dragged her out the door anyway.  "So have a salad and dessert!  You PROMISED!  You're not allowed to back out at the last minute!"  I think she ultimately enjoyed it.   

We're sort of turning into the three Musketeers, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.  It's not my style, but I think I sort of like it.

No comments: