Thursday, January 6, 2005

#101 I Am Snowbound.

It's snowing.  The snow is already above the dropped floor of the van, so I won't be moving it until either the snow melts, or I clear it.  I'm afraid a situation is developing out there, and I'm going to be stuck in the house for several days.  The elements of the situation:

1.  I didn't move the van to the bottom of the driveway because the snow started 12 hours before it was predicted, and I missed the "window".  Now I can't.

2.  I haven't tried the snowthrower yet this year.  If it works like every other year, it won't start until I take it in for service.  I can't get it in for service because I can't move the van. 

3.  Even if the snowthrower will start, I don't have any fresh gas.  If there's any gas out there, it's left over from last winter, and that will likely gunk up the carburetor and kill it. 

4.  In a few hours, the snow is supposed to change to rain, which will melt some of the snow, and then it will refreeze into a solid mass of ice several inches thick.

5.  But "they" are predicting 40s for the weekend, so it will all melt then, and I have enough cigarettes and cat food to make it 'til then, so I am not encouraged to get out there and try.

6.  However, the past few years, when "they" have predicted warm weather that will melt the snow, the warm never happened as scheduled, and I had an icy mess for weeks -

7.  unless I did go out and clear, and then the warm did come, and I was pissed.

And why am I in this situation?  Why didn't I get the equipment serviced and the gas can filled before now?  Because I have flatly refused to admit that winter was coming.  Maybe if I ignore harder, it will all go away.  

No comments: