Wednesday, January 12, 2005

#105 Journal Comments Lead to Junk Email!!!

In entry #47 I noted that I had removed the comment facility (accidentally removing all old comments, too).  You should all thank me profusely! 

I have several other AOL screennames, and in an attempt to hide this journal, I have recently used two of the other screennames to leave comments in other AOL journals (only two or three - I am mostly a silent lurker).  In two years, none of the alternate names had received even one piece of email.  Within two days of posting comments, the spam started pouring in! 

Somebody is mining journals for (definitely) AOL screennames, and (possibly) non-AOL email addresses.

!!!

You're welcome.

Now pardon me while I go create a posting-only no-email-accepted id, and see if I can figure out how to notify AOL of this exposure.

No comments: