Thursday, January 6, 2005

#103 Hands, Redux!

Read the last part of the previous entry first, about the Magic Eraser.

Look what I found at http://www.medhelp.org/forums/dermatology/messages/30987a.html (note that my blisters are white, and don't hurt, but I'm getting closer!):

 Subject: small pin size blisters on hands
Topic Area: Eczema
Forum: The Dermatology Forum

Question Posted By: heather on Tuesday, February 13, 2001

just lately i've gotten these small pink/red blisters
on the plams and inside of my fingers,they hurt alittle
mostly of the morning and as the day goes by they seem to
fade,when they go to heal they get alittle brownish dot
in the center.from what i've been reaing and all i can find
is that it might be some type of Eczema?if so,is it something
that is only treatable (never goes away) or can i get rid of
it???
thanks for you comments.

Answer Posted By: Derm M.D. ASR on Tuesday, February 13, 2001

Heather:

Sounds like dyshidrosis, a form of eczema once thought to be due to "bad sweating" (that's what the word means.) Actually, we don't know what it's from, but it isn't catchy and often doesn't even need to be treated. If the symptoms start to bother you, your dermatologist can help.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff

=========================================

Update, 4:45 am

After reading a bunch, and looking at a slew of pictures, I have concluded that what I do NOT have is cheiropompholyx, keratolysis exfoliativa, or impetigo.  What I probably DO have is dyshidrosis, dyshidrotic eczema, vesticular eczema, or vesiculobullous eruptions (all of which seem to be essentially the same thing).  The only missing piece is that in all cases, they say the blisters hurt or itch.  Mine don't.

Caused by sensitivity and dryness, sometimes stress.  Not contagious.  If it's not bothersome, no treatment other than use of a non-cream moisturizer and wearing gloves when using soaps and detergents (turns out the cream moisturizers have water in them, which tends to aggravate rather than cure dryness).  If bothersome, treated with 1% cortisone creams, or in severe cases, Prednisone.  Can be triggered by injury to the skin.  Can be caused by a sensitivity to nickel.

So, in the spring, I had stopped putting cortisone on the patches of eczema on my elbows.  Palms had gotten used to cortisone.  Then Magic Eraser injures and severely dries palms.  Along about the same time, I cut down on the flax oil/lecithin/fish oils supplements for the summer because they made my skin too oily.  Plus I had been handling a lot of Kutchi jewelry and medallions - wanna bet they're full of nickel?  And I developed a passion for the $8.99 Wal-Mart "diamond" rings - wanna bet they're full of nickel?  And I had been doing more needlework, so I was using gel alcohol on my hands.  Then this fall, I was determined not to get the flu, so I was washing and disinfecting my hands constantly.

Pow!  Even though my hands don't feel dry, they are probably a lot dryer than they like to be.  Plus nickel.  Don't see how I could have avoided this.

Plan:  Hand creams (non-creamy - i.e. Eucerin).  Time to restart the cortisone on my elbows anyway.  Lots of nice soaking in bathtub.  No washing of dishes.  (Ok ok.  Gloves when washing dishes.) Or, just ignore it.  It's not hurting anything.

Daughter - in my reading, I came across a few things that might explain your very dry hands.  Are you interested?

=========================================

Further Update, 5:40 am

When I had mentioned stress as a causative agent, that wasn't just emotional stress.  They specifically mentioned things like a systemic fungal infection, and several forms of cancer.  So I think I will work on the external treatments, just to see if I can eliminate the internal causes as possibilities.

No comments: