Sunday, January 23, 2005

#120 Snow! and Sleep!

I actually got to sleep last night before 11 pm!  I woke up at 5:30 am, but hey, that's progress. 

When the sun came up, I checked the snow.  It looks like The Hairless Hunk (my groundskeeper) did plow at some time during the night, because there are ridges on either side of the drive, but there seems to be about 6-8 inches of snow on the drive now.  Which is odd, because there's also 6-8 inches on the bits that I know he couldn't have plowed.  There are several feet on the deck.  I have no way of knowing how much we actually got, because it's very windy, and the snow is drifting.  TV out of Albany says 26 inches at Hudson....

I suspect that's a high drift on the deck and a low (blown away) drift on the drive. There's probably no point in The Hunk coming back to finish until the wind dies down.

I'm glad I decided not to use the snowthrower and do it myself.  There's nothing worse than throwing the snow into the air, and having it blow back into your face.

I wonder if I still have a mailbox.

================================

I did go out yesterday morning to stock the pantry, and I was pleasantly surprised.  I've been hiding in the house since the temperatures dropped into the teens.  I'd see people outside on TV wrapped in wool and still obviously shivering, and I'd think "No way!".  But I was out of gasoline, money, meat, milk, yogurt, and kitty litter, and would be out of Prilosec and cigarettes today, so I had no choice.

I had to fight my way through a huge flock of wild turkeys mid-driveway!  There were at least 24 of them, and they were digging all around the oak and the cherry tree, after acorns and dried fallen cherries.   The storm was due to start within the hour, and they were determined to get all the acorns they could beforehand, so they refused to move.  I had to practically nudge them out of the way. 

I was wearing: Snow boots, knee-high (thin) trouser stockings, knit pants, underwear, v-neck sweater, the black velvety hip-length jacket, and I had draped a red silk scarf over my head, around my neck,and over the shoulders, then topped that with a red felt hat with fluffy feather trim around the brim.  I kept forgetting to take my gloves out of the pockets.  (The headgear was mainly because I haven't washed my hair in a week, and I wanted to cover it completely.  I was surprised to find that the arrangement actually looked quite nice.)

I was surprised that I wasn't cold at all!  In fact, I unzipped the jacket because I was too warm.  The temperature, according to the van thermometer, was 3 degrees.

I don't understand.

================================ 

Interesting fact gleaned from Sunday Morning:  A nanometer is the length that your fingernail grows in one second.  Repeat, one second.

=================================

Oops!  The wind has suddenly stopped, and I hear The Hunk out there plowing now! 

No comments: