Thursday, January 13, 2005

#109 My Driveway Is Now a Glacier!

All the TV weathermen said it would get into the 50s today.  It did.  All the TV weathermen said it would melt all the snow out there.  It didn't.  It just made dense fog.  (I laughed when one of them this evening said "Fog as far as the eye can see".  Huh?)

So, the 3 inches of frozen snow-slush with an inch of ice on top from last week, that had been covered with another 4 inches of snow-slush and another inch of ice earlier this week, is now five inches of frozen snow-froth.  And we are headed for 20s and teens this weekend and early next week.

It's bad enough carrying packages and groceries up the slippery driveway (spike heels don't even break through!), but worse, the oil truck can't make it up.  I do have electric backup heat off the old heat pump, but that's horribly expensive.  Plus, I paid up front for 800 gallons of oil (I usually use four 200 gallon loads per winter) to lock in the discount price, and I don't know what happens if I don't use it because the truck can't deliver.  Do I get credit for next winter?

I doubt that an ambulance could make it up the hill.  I don't know about a fire truck.  I really don't like this.  I want to blame the weathermen, but I know who's really to blame: 

My balky gas-guzzling snowthrower!

No comments: