Thursday, May 5, 2005

#198 Thursday - I'm here....

Talked to Daughter twice today.  So this entry is mainly just to keep the promise.

If I can get moving early enough tomorrow, I'm going to drive down to the Sharper Image store in Woodbury Mall (apparently the closest, according to their website), and raise some cain.

I bought three little battery-operated motion detecting lights from Sharper Image, through Amazon, for like 1/4 the list price during Amazon's Friday Specials sale.  I thought I'd put one in my bathroom, one in the cat's bathroom, and one in the livingroom. 

Step one of the instructions: "Using a screwdriver, remove the screws from the bottom, and insert three AA batteries."  There are four screws, Phillips head, and they are only slightly larger than the screws at the temple of my glasses.  This is not your standard household screwdriver size!  Luckily, Jay had a set of tiny screwdrivers.  The smallest one fit.  The screwdrivers are the type where there's a flat fixed part at the end that you seat in the palm, and then turn the shaft with the tips of your fingers.

I tried using the screwdrivers as designed, and the screws wouldn't turn!   I ended up bracing the light with the heel of my left hand, holding the screwdriver in place with my left fingers and pushing it into the screw with my chin (!), while with my right hand I turned the screwdriver with a wrench around the shaft.   It took me 45 minutes to get the first screw out!  There are 11 more to go.  The second screw's head started to strip, so I gave up.  (I figured if I could get four out, I'd leave the screws out and put the danged thing back together with duct tape....)

So I intend to go to the Sharper Image store tomorrow, plunk the fer'kaka things on the counter, and insist that THEY insert the batteries for me!  When they give up (I'll even provide the screwdriver and wrench), I want my money back.  I fully intend to make noise.  This is a really bad design !

Just out of curiosity - they detect motion (not heat) in a dark room, and turnthe light on.  Exactly how do they detect motion?  In the dark?  Without rapidly using up the batteries?  (Jay would know.)

No comments: