Sunday, May 8, 2005

#201 Bits & Pieces

Well, I did take the lights to the Sharper Image store, and three clerks worked on them and finally got the screws out.  At one point, one clerk said to another, "All our lights like this are always burned out.  Do you think maybe it's because no one wants to change the batteries?" 

The bottoms fit quite tightly without the screws, so I'm not going to put them back in.

_______________________________________________________

A lot of people are surprised and disappointed that the man chosen as the new pope is so conservative.  I am not surprised.  If your boat is in a safe harbor, and the tide is getting stronger and the wind is rising, and your boat is in danger of drifting, you don't put on canvas.  You drop an anchor.  Now, if you drop the anchor but you don't "set" it, the boat might still drift, but more slowly.  By choosing a much older man than they might have, the cardinals have not set the anchor.  It's a surprisingly perspicacious choice.  (Although probably not by conscious plan.)

________________________________________________________

I must have slept in an odd position last night.  I have a really bad pain on the right edge of my spine just below the shoulder blade.  It extends around to the front along the rib, with another sharp node of pain in the front.  It's making my stomach feel queasy, and it's causing acid reflux.  Tylenol helps both the pain and queasiness. 

At first I was worried about heart, lungs, nastiness, but poking confirmed that it's definitely very near the surface, probably a pinched nerve in the back that's also affecting my stomach, and the usual inflammation from a rib out of kilter in the front, so I guess it's nothing serious. 

I worry, though, about stuff like this.  I have so much pain here and there and everywhere all the time, that I worry that I will ignore something serious.  The surgeon was surprised that I didn't feel anything wrong when the gall bladder went west.  I drove myself to the emergency room in the middle of the night only after I started throwing up blood.  He kept asking "You didn't feel any pain?", and rather than try to explain, I just answered "Nothing unusual...".   Doctors don't want to hear about chronic pain.  If they can't pinpoint it, can't fix it, it's "all in your head", or "You're too sensitive".  Hey - I gave birth twice with absolutely no meds, and found it "interesting".  I went to school with a ruptured disk and split ribs.  I didn't feel a gall bladder that required emergency surgery.  I am absolutely NOT "too sensitive"! 

____________________________________________________

Word for the day - "Punk" is not a verb!!!!!   And if it ever were, it wouldn't have anything to do with playing a harmless prank, anyway.  Whoever started using it as a verb didn't know what the noun meant.  (Is it possible they confused "punk" and "prank"?)

No comments: