Tuesday, May 17, 2005

#210 Tuesday - Nesters

Busy busy.  Trying to clean out the van and get recyclables together.  One of these days, I'll be able to get to the recycle center when it's open, and I want to be ready!

I want to go to --- some store --- and buy a motion-detector-type light to put on the garage, to replace the fixture that's there now.  I'm tired of having no porch light. 

There are three lights out front now, one on the garage and one on either end of the porch.  Every year a tiny bird with a long beak manages to attract two wives by building nests on top of both porch fixtures, where they proceed to raise two litters each over the summer.  All three lights work on one switch, so all summer I can't turn the lights on, because I don't want to cook the eggs or the babies.

Last fall I got smart, and after the birds left I arranged some wire screening over the fixtures, so when he came back this spring, he'd have to find another nesting spot.  I mean, there's a whole flippin' forest fifty feet away!

Big storm last month.  Lots of wind.  Goodbye screening.  Hello birdy?  Damn!  He worked fast this year. 

All three lights are on one switch, so what I think I'll do is put a motion-activated light on the garage, leave the switch on constantly, and unscrew the bulbs in the porch lights/nest box.  That should solve the problem, plus I don't have to remember to leave a light on when I'm going to be out late (no need to advertise a late return, anyway...).

No comments: