Tuesday, May 31, 2005

#226 Healing Hands

For anyone out there who has never has a massage, thinking perhaps that it's a silly affectation or something just for snooty self-absorbed "spa-types", I'm here to tell you different.

After the hike on the 21st, daughter massaged my feet, and when I mentioned that my upper back felt like it might be starting up again, she spent a few minutes on that, too (through clothing, no oil). That was ten days ago.

It wasn't until today that I realized what a god job she had done on my feet.

My feet usually ache all the time. The ache is back this morning, and it is only now that I realize I have had no ache in my feet for a whole ten days! Also, with only gentle touch, she made the threat in my back disappear immediately and completely.

After the beatings I have taken from chiropractors with less definite results, I consider this nothing short of a miracle.

So, get a massage. Start with a clothed "chair massage" if that's more comfortable for you. But make sure you find a licensed practitioner with the best training (there are lots of "oh, I can do that" poseurs out there), who has the sensitivity and intelligence to apply it well.

Like my daughter.

=================================================

On the same general topic, I have been told many times that I have "healing hands", by every palm reader and fortune teller I've visited at Renn Faires, by others who claim to sense stuff like that, by a highly respected visiting Tibetan monk, and by the nurses when Jay was in the hospitals.

My GreatGramma was said to have healing hands.

I like the idea, but I don't think its true. I tried so hard to "heal" Jay. I thought well, maybe there's something to this, and it would be terrible not to at least try, so I really tried, but it didn't work. I could comfort, but not heal.

However, I do think I do have a similar skill. (There's a name for it, but I forget what it's called.) I can ease transitions. I can ease birth and death. It's not as nice as healing, but in the greater scheme of things, I suppose it's just as good.

Daughter seems to have inherited GreatGramma's hands.

~~ Silk

No comments: