Sunday, May 29, 2005

#224 Froggy Draws the Weirdos

Daughter  knows I've been flying low in Journal-land.  I have not encouraged dropin readers, have turned off comments to keep the crazies away, and so on.    So she was surprised that I allowed AOL to feature the froggy photo on the "AOL People Connections: Journals" main page.   "Gee Mom.  People are gonna click on that and they'll find you!  You're going to get some weird stuff...."

Well, I have received some nice emailed comments, and some "weird stuff".  There are a few very strange (read "immature") people out there.  But, as I said to Daughter, I have two secret weapons that will keep them from hanging around very long.  One, my journal is boring, and two, I don't allow comments, ergo, no billboard for their graffiti. 

I have a third secret weapon which I will share with you all now.  If you ever get foul, frightening, or threatening email, forward said email intact to abuse@(their-isp).  If it comes from a netscape account, for example, forward it to abuse@netscape.com, and so on.  Note that even if they use a temporary screenname, their isp can trace who set up that account/screenname. 

State and federal attorney generals will crack down on especially egregious cases.  You are never as anonymous as you think you are.

~~ Silk

No comments: