Saturday, August 27, 2005

#330 Strange Dream

I had a strange dream, I think it was last Tuesday night, that is still with me.  That usually means that my subconscious is trying to tell me something.  I haven't figured it out yet, and I'm beginning to think I won't ever.

------------------------------------------------------

It is night, strong moonlight.  A large rustic building on stilts, rising out of a swampy area.  One story in front, roof sloping up to two stories in back, a wide deck around the front and two sides.  I am in the building, and there is a large group of people there, sort of a cocktail party going on.

The strangest part of the dream is that I am a young male.  Slender, long legs, athletic build.  I don't remember ever before being anyone but me in a dream.  Also, in usual dreams, I am sometimes inside myself, but most often outside myself, watching me.  This time I stay entirely inside this young man, so I don't know what my face looked like.

At the beginning, I am on an upstairs balcony, looking down on a large room extending across the front of the building, watching the people milling around and conversing and laughing.  I am afraid of them.  They want to catch me and hurt me.  It's important that I avoid them.

The major part of the dream is spent with me moving through the warren of halls and rooms in the back of the building, ducking into rooms to avoid people and then moving on once they've passed.  I get more and more frightened.  I must not be caught.

I finally manage to get out onto the deck.  The water is black, with clumps of reeds and other vegetation scattered around.  There's a glistening trail of silver moonlight on the water, and in the distance I can see a clump of trees.  I know that the water is clean, there's no danger in it (very odd for me - the real me doesn't trust any water where I can't see the bottom), and if I can stay out of the moontrail and make it to the trees, I will be safe. 

I shimmy down one of the pilings and set out for the trees.

The water is only waist deep, and the bottom is mud.  I get about 100 yards away when I am spotted from the deck, and three men set out after me.  When the first man catches up to me, we fight.  I manage to get him under water, and I push his face into the mud, and stand on the back of his neck.  When the second man comes up, we fight, and I push his face into the mud and stand on him, too.  When the third arrives, I get my hands around his neck, and I am choking him.

A whole crowd then arrives, and they form a circle around me and the man I am choking.  They tell me that everything is ok, no one wants to hurt me, I am safe with them, I should let go of the guy I'm holding.  That someone had slipped me some kind of hallucinogenic food or drug earlier in the evening and it has made me paranoid, and they thought that I was sleeping it off upstairs.   That everything is ok and I shouldn't be afraid.

I'm still holding the guy by the neck.  I sort of remember now.  These are in fact my friends.  They do want to take care of me.  The guys I had just fought did seem to be trying to stop me, not to hurt me.  There's nothing to be afraid of.  It really is ok.

But unknown to anyone but the guy I'm still strangling, and he hasn't been able to say anything yet, I am standing on the necks of two people I just killed!  I don't know what to do.  I want to continue strangling the guy I'm holding, just to finish the job.  I do and don't want to kill them all.  I feel dead myself.  My life has ended.  It's not ok.

And the dream ends with me indecisive, still strangling the third guy.

---------------------------------------

It sounds like a movie or short story, like some dreams I have when I fall asleep with the television still on and I dream whatever I hear.  The tv was not on.  There is absolutely no connection with anything I have seen or read within memory.  I'm stumped by this one.

~~Silk

No comments: