Tuesday, November 1, 2005

#422 Phone Tag


I set aside time this evening to do some paperwork, and most of it was consumed by the telephone. 

Daughter called, but she was about to get into the car to go home from work, so she asked me to call her back in a half hour.

I did.  But she had stopped at the grocery store, was putting bags in the car, and asked me to call her back in ten minutes, she'd be home by then.

In the meantime, my friend from the end of  entry #419 called.  He had tried to call Monday afternoon (but I was still at lunch), tried to leave a message to say that he had a meeting last night and couldn't call later.  But my machine wouldn't take a message, he got double beeps (I had five "blank" messages on my machine when I got home), so I didn't kill him.  However, I told him I had to call Daughter, she seemed to want to ensure I'd be available, there must be something up, so I'd call him back after I talked with her.

Called Daughter.  We talked for a while.  Nothing earthshattering.  I wondered (to myself) why she seemed so anxious to talk with me.

After I hung up with Daughter, I called my friend back, on the cell phone, and settled in for a long and satisfying conversation.

During my talk with him, Daughter (I am assuming) tried to call my cell (yes, I have call waiting, but I never learned how to use it), then she tried the house phone, and I heard her leave a message on the answering machine that she DID have an issue she needed to talk with me about, and was now ready to talk about it.

Friend and I were into something, so I didn't immediately kick him off the phone, but then the house phone rang again, and there was no message left, so I figured Daughter was getting anxious, so ...  and my memory gets a bit fuzzy here, but to the best of my recall this is how it went ... I told him I'd have to call Daughter again, and I'd call him back. 

He has the patience of a saint.

Called Daughter.  She and Hercules were eating dinner, and she "couldn't talk now".  Call back later.  I waited a half hour and called again, and I got her cell voice mail.  Four times over the next 20 minutes.

Gave up and called my friend back.  I felt bad about hanging up on him twice and then making him wait so long.  We continued and finished our conversation.

Called Daughter again.  I had gotten her voice mail earlier because she had been talking to someone else (yes, she does have call waiting, and she does know how to use it).   And no, she didn't want to talk about whatever the big issue was anymore because she had gotten out whatever she had to say with whomever she had been talking with while I had my friend on hold and had been trying to get hold of her.

I think she was annoyed that I seemed to have put my friend before her.

I am frustrated and annoyed that I was unable to make any kind of connection with her, and I didn't get my paperwork done.  I'm going to be up half the night again tonight.

Whatever!!!!!!

~~Silk

No comments: