Monday, November 14, 2005

#437 The Wine Tasting Outing


Programmers' Drinking Song

99 little bugs in the code,
99 little bugs,
You fix one bug, compile it again,
100 little bugs in the code.

100 little bugs in the code,
100 little bugs,
....
Repeat until bugs=0.

___________________________________

Well, I missed the wine tasting yesterday.  The newsletter said it was in Pine Bush, so I dragged out the map and found Pine Bush on route 209, north of Kerhonkson.  The directions further said to follow the "wine trail" signs to the winery.  Pizza afterward at a pizzeria in Pine Bush.  I gave myself an hour and 15 minutes to get there.

There were NO signs for Pine Bush on 209.  I went all the way to Ellenville, then back north to Kerhonkson, then  back to Ellenville, then back to Kerhonkson, then I found an old man who told me that Pine Bush was on route 52.
"Go to south Ellenville, then turn right in town onto 52.  You'll see a sign for Pine Bush."
"Turn right on 52?  That's west, right?"
"Yeah."

I found 52, and turned right at the "Pine Bush 12 mi" sign.  A few blocks later, the road split.  52 west went right, 52 east went left.  No Pine Bush sign.  Old man said right, right?  West, right?   Right.  I took the right.  Twelve miles later, there sure enough was a little town, but it wasn't Pine Bush.

Found another old man.  "Um, am I anywhere near Pine Bush?"
Laughter.  "Nope.  You gotta go back to Ellenville, go straight through town, and up t'mountain on t'other side.  Pine Bush will be on 52, about 12 miles t'other side of Ellenville."

By the time I got to Pine Bush (which was in the next county down, by the way, and therefore this version of Pine Bush wasn't on my map), I was an hour and a half late.  So I gave up on the winery and found the pizza parlor.  Where I found the Mensa group.  Which consisted of the two organizers.  They had just ordered. 

It's just as well that I hadn't looked for the winery.  The couple wondered where everybody else was, and I suggested that maybe they were wandering the highway between Ellenville and Kerhonkson, or somewhere west of Ellenville.  Laughter.  Then the guy who had written the directions speculated that they might be wandering out there somewhere nearby.  He said it was just as well that I hadn't tried to find the winery.  It seems that the "Wine Trail" signs I was supposed to follow don't point to this particular winery.

Ah, typical Mensa. 

Turns out there are at least two Pine Bushes in New York state - a village and a hamlet locally (a hamlet being a wide spot in the road).  Just as there are two Rochesters - the city and the town.  There are two Red Hooks - a village and a scary section near the NYC docks.  There are lots of duplicate names.  I don't know how the postal service handled it before zip codes.

Ah, typical New York.

~~Silk

No comments: