Thursday, November 10, 2005

#431 Thursday


Quick short entry - for Thursday.

Last night (Wednesday), dinner with Mensa, a Greek restaurant.  I had something that was exactly like cinnamon egg custard with meat in it, two different varieties that looked and tasted exactly the same, and a tiny snip of spinach pie that was very good.  And what was supposed to be tiramisu, but looked and tasted like melted marshmallow with two lady fingers stuck in it.

One of our members has Tourette Syndrome and a seizure disorder.  He gets rides with other members to the dinners, since he daren't drive.  Last night during dinner, he noticed that his right hand was trembling, but not the left, and said that meant he would have a seizure in about two hours.  Then pretty soon he said that there were "funny colors", which meant it was coming on faster, maybe an hour.  The guy he had come with was planning to do some grocery shopping on the way home, and since I have experience with seizures (Jay's) so they don't frighten me, and would pass the guy's apartment, I volunteered to give him a ride home.

It was a pretty interesting ride.  I got him to his home before any seizure, but MAN, could he talk!  He kept apologizing for being so talkative - said that that's a symptom of the seizures - but he talked and talked faster and faster, and was actually pretty interesting.  He's an interesting person.  Weird, but interesting.

I went to the hardware store today to buy weather stripping for the front door.  I had bought some really fancy magnetic stuff a few years ago and couldn't install it then because the falling-apart stuff on the door was nailed in between the two parts of the frame and I couldn't get it out.  Now that has finally completely disintegrated - but now, of course, I can't find the fancy stuff.  Oh, well.  The stick-on foam strip I bought is cheap and easily removed, so if I ever do find the good stuff, I'm ready.

Anyway, when I left the hardware store, I discovered I didn't want to go home.  I drove and drove the back roads, some I'd never been on before, up and down steep hills through sparsely populated lands, trying to get lost.  Beautiful scenery.  I'll never find it again.  Ended up at Taghkonic Lake.  Took the Taconic Parkway back home.

Spent the evening cutting up cardboard boxes and burning paper.  The living room is starting to look ... um ... possible.

~~Silk

No comments: