Thursday, February 10, 2005

#141 (P) Another One Bites the Dust

Well, another of my Chinese merchants just "went NARU" (in auctionese).  This is what I was buying from him:

Photo of Bronze HorseThis picture does not do it justice - I had to optimize the photo.  There are many bronze Chinese horses out there, but this one is very different from all the others.  The saddle style and knotted tail are common, but the detail in the musculature in this fellow's head, chest, and legs give him an unusually powerful, even dangerous look.  He's big - a little over a foot tall, almost 20 lb.  This view doesn't show it, but his head is turned slightly to one side.  He looks like he's about to spin, rear, toss his head and strike out. 

I have already paid for the horse, but I don't think I have to worry.  The merchant contacted me almost immediately to tell me what had happened.  Post offices in China are closed for the Spring Festival (New Year's), for more than a week, and he assures me that as soon as they open, he will ship my horse. 

This is the third Chinese merchant that I know of to be kicked off the auction site in the past week, and of course, the authorities don't say why.  I suspect it's because the Chinese merchants will sell a $100 item for like $.99, and then charge $120 shipping (when it costs perhaps $20 to ship it).  Since the auction fees are charged based on the selling price, and not the shipping, the auction site considers this "fee avoidance", for which you can be suspended. 

What's really weird is that the Persian rug merchants do exactly the same thing all the time, and when they are called on it, they claim that although it cost only $50 to ship the rug to the buyer and they charged $650 shipping for the $.99 rug, the additional $600 on the shipping is not profit - they have also charged the buyer what it cost them to ship it from the middle east to their warehouse.   Bull poopy!  But they are allowed to get away with it.

Sigh.  I don't understand.

No comments: