Monday, February 21, 2005

#160 Bits and Pieces

If the picture doesn't show in the previous entry, try clicking the "reload" in the box.  For some reason, that usually works.  AOL is having all kinds of problems with journals lately, and fixing one thing seems to break another.

===================================

I've had a terrible headache all day - back of my neck and curving around to under my ears on either side.  It's probably because I fell asleep with the pillow under my chest and my face in the puzzle book.  I hate when I do that.  That leaves nose prints on the book and the mechanical pencil rolling around in the bed with me.  One of these days I'm going to wake up with a pencil in my ear.

===================================

A funny thing happened yesterday - I got stuck to my van.  Not stuck in - stuck to!

The front seats are on platforms to raise them to regular height above the dropped floor of the van so you can unlock and roll the seat and platform out to put a wheelchair in its place.  So the floor between the seats is waaaay down.  I was sitting in the driver's seat, and had dropped some mail between the seats.  I had to lean waaaay over to retrieve it.

My favorite "clomping around in" shoes have velcro closures, and when I leaned over, a shoe was pressed and rubbed against the door - which has fuzzy carpeting on the lower half. Somehow, the velcro caught the carpet and wouldn't let go. When I sat up, my left foot was glued to the door, high up. There wasn't enough room between the seat and the door and my arms weren't long enough, and don’t curve that way, to reach down, and there wasn't enough space to pull the foot away, and I couldn’t get my foot out of the shoe.  I was well stuck.

If I opened the door I’d get the space I needed, but if I opened the door, given how high the seat is (I have to clamber in by stepping on the door frame, and jumping and heaving, pulling on the steering wheel and seat), if I fell out with my foot stuck to the door, I’d hurt me real bad. Probably dislocate a hip or knee or something.

When I stopped giggling, I got smart. I put the seat belt back on and wrapped my right arm around the steering wheel, then opened the door. Scritch! Freedom!

=================================

Spring is coming!  When I got Saturday's mail out of the mailbox yesterday, there was a newly hatched baby wolf spider running around on the letters.  The outside temperature was only 31 degrees, but I guess the sun on the black mailbox was enough to prompt hatching.  So, the sun is trying hard.  It'll get through soon.

=================================

Why do commercials still use the phrase "save up to xxx dollars"?  It must work, some people must still think it means something, or they wouldn't waste the time and money to say it - especially when it's the entire thrust of the commercial.   Don't people realize that it has almost no meaning at all?  "Up to" defines only the maximum you can save.  A savings of zero dollars is still "up to" xxx dollars. 

So when they say "save up to $600 dollars on your car insurance", all they're saying is that you won't save more than $600.  They aren't saying you will save anything.  Maybe they just want to ensure they get only stupid people for their customers.  Stupid people make less trouble.

=================================

A quote from May, who made me laugh yesterday - she's been having trouble with nose congestion lately, "really bad.  You know, like when you blow your nose in a tissue and throw it in the waste basket, and it goes 'thunk'."

No comments: