Saturday, February 19, 2005

#154 (P) Trip to Ricketts Glen

Map of the falls (if AOL FTP space is still sick, this will be blank)

An announcement for all within the sound of my voice (or within ken of this writing) - I am going to Ricketts Glen on Saturday, May 21.  I may go the day before and stay over, or that day only, or stay over Saturday night, but on the day itself I will be on my mountain.  This is the mountain with the creek tumbling down the side in more than 20 beautiful falls.  If I go alone I will be able to visit only Jay's falls, near the bottom, and maybe one or two further up.  With company in a second car, we will be able to start at the top and walk the whole trail down.  So any and all are invited.  Mark the weekend now.

I missed my annual visit last fall.  My knees hurt, and I kept putting it off until it was too late to go (once it gets cold the trail gets icy from the spray, and it's dangerous).  I think late spring is a better time to go, anyway, so maybe it was good that I missed it. 

I couldn't remember when the mountain laurel blooms, so I looked it up online.  It blooms through May into early June in the mountains of Virginia, so on Red Rock mountain it's probably late May into late June.  I figured the last weekend of May would be ideal - mountain laurel started, snow gone, no school kids yet.  But when I checked the calendar, that's Memorial Day weekend!  Agh!  So, the 21st it is.

Friends and relatives, join me if you can.  You won't regret it, I promise.

Oh- almost forgot - When I looked at the calendar, I was surprised to find that May 21 is Armed Forces Day.  If you know my history, you'll know why I will be pleased to be on the mountain on Armed Forces Day once again.  Serendipity!

No comments: