Monday, February 21, 2005

#159 Drum

Snow again today.  I got to bed very late (like 6 am) again last night (reading and working a logic puzzle), and was awakened at 1:30 pm by the sound of the town snow plow down on the road.  He hit something - I hope it wasn't my mailbox again! 

The snow had stopped falling.  It looks like several inches on the drive.  By the time I was together enough to go out and clear it, I'd have had to choose between clearing the drive or going to dance class (I can get down the uncleared drive ok to go to class, I think, but I wouldn't be able to get back up).  So, of course, being me, I did neither.  I'll clear it tomorrow.

This is something like the fifth or sixth class in a row that I have missed.  And I will miss next week because I'll be visiting Daughter.  Is someone trying to tell me something? 

The photo is my new drum.  It's beautiful, has a great voice and convenient size (knee high on me).  It's not technically a mideastern drum, but it still sounds the "dum" and "tek", and will serve to learn on.  It was handcrafted in Ghana, Africa, of one piece of Tweneboa wood, a kind of cedar named after a skilled master drummer, Tweneboa Kodua. The head is hand-shaved goat skin (it still has hair around the edges), with double iron ring construction.  "Excellent sound. Certificate of Authenticity included."  I managed to get it for $30 including shipping.  

Now I need lessons. 

No comments: