Saturday, February 19, 2005

#152 The Best Cheese Omelet Ever!

Some people are very "into" name brands and exclusivity.  If it isn't expensive, it simply can't be any good.  Stupid people...........

One time when I was with Jay in the neuro-ICU in Staten Island, I was wearing a very pretty printed gauze dress with beading on the bodice.  The very chatty (and name-dropping) wife of the guy in the next bed asked wherever did I find that beautiful dress.  When I said WalMart, she actually flinched, as if I'd slapped her.  She kept her back to me for the rest of her visit.  I guess I had offended her by tricking her into admiring something from WalMart?

I also don't understand the general disdain for Spam.  (The bits of white in it are not all fat, but mostly that nice sweet 100% protein gristly stuff.)  Broiled or fried it makes a great sandwich.  Same with cooked bologna.  Bologna or Spam also makes a terrific ham salad, with mayonnaise and sweet pickle relish.  (Daughter - I put much too much pickle in that bologna salad I took to your place that time - it was almost a pickle salad - yuck!  So don't go by that.  I always manage to mess up "having a party" food in some way.  Maybe it's subconscious-on-purpose try-too-hard overdoing.)

Anyhow, the omelet.

A few months ago I had the best cheese omelet I've ever tasted, in a tiny home-cooking cafe somewhere out in the middle of nowhere, discovered and subsequently lost on one of my let's see how lost I can get wanders.  I've had omelets with white truffles in Paris.  I've had $20 omelets made with cheeses with names I can't pronounce, in NYC and San Francisco.  But this cafe omelet was the absolute best ever, smooth and creamy, with a taste and texture like a dream cheese cloud. 

I badgered the lady behind the counter to tell me what was in it, but she said it was a secret.  I finally convinced her I was not a spy from the competition, and she relented.

"Velveeta and Philadelphia Cream Cheese, with a pinch of Hungarian paprika."

Yummy.  Take that, you cheese snobs!

No comments: