Thursday, February 17, 2005

#150 What Happened to the Recycle Symbols?

You know those numbers in the triangles on plastic containers? 

Our local recycle center takes only #1 and #2 plastics.  (I have long been of the opinion that local retailers, deli and takeout counters, especially, should make an effort to use only containers that can be recycled or reused one way or another.)

Lately I've noticed that the numbers are disappearing!  Did the rules change or something?  I stand there with a container in hand, and I don't know whether to put it in the recycle bag, or the trash bag, or the cabinet.  Another place I miss Jay.  He knew what all those numbers stood for, by the chemical name, and which could be put in the microwave and which not, and why some were more expensive to recycle than others, and he could tell what was what just by looking at it.  He didn't need those numbers - but I do!

I'm starting to get angry about it.  I'm about annoyed enough to put them ALL in a bag, drag them to the grocery store, and insist that the manager sort them for me.

No comments: