Sunday, February 20, 2005

#157 So I break the rules...

There are all kinds of "How to" hints out there for writing journals.  Almost all of  them recommend that you keep entries short, as most people don't have the patience for reading long (and especially long-winded) essays. 

It's probably good advice, because even I will roll my eyes and hit the "back" button when I see screen after screen of blather in someone else's journal.   The thing is, although I am interested in what others have to say, I'm frankly not that interested (except in Jeannette's Jottings - she can write a novel about her ancestors and countryside, and I'll read it). 

Oops.  Sorry.  I have broken the rule and written some humdingers. 

Well, oops again.  I'm not sorry.  I'm not writing this for readers.  I'm writing it for me.  Sometimes it takes a lot of words to kill whatever demon has taken over my head.  I don't care if it bores anyone else. 

I'm not writing for anyone else.

I will do what works for me.  You do what works for you. 

=======================================

Similar topic - what will make me hit the back button?  What should you avoid if  you do want (people like me as) regular readers? 
  • Black backgrounds, especially with a fine font.
  • Too glopped-up with tags, animation, cutsy-poos, and especially music.
  • Long dense paragraphs.
  • I'll quit reading after the third "chatroom"ese ("u" for "you").  I don't much care what you have to say if it's painful to read it.
  • Too many errors in fifth grade grammar, punctuation, and spelling turns me off.  Ok, so I'm a snob.  But I'm an intelligent snob.
  • Religious blather, especially condescending or threatening religious blather.  I don't mind if you mention your beliefs as a part of your life - that's different and ok and even nice.
  • Photographs that take too long to load (except if they are as interesting as those of Jeannette and JerseyGirl - they're usually worth the wait).
  • Highfalutin' prose of the "It was a dark and stormy night" variety.  Especially the use of big words when the writer obviously didn't know the meaning or connotation of the word, but used it only because it was big.
How 'bout you?  Remember, now, I can commit all those sins, 'cause I'm not looking for readers.

No comments: