Wednesday, October 5, 2005

#389 Amazing Parking


I taped The Amazing Race last night and watched it this morning.  Love that show.  This season they are doing a "family" version, with groups of four family members on a team instead of the usual teams of two friends, and they seem to be staying pretty much in the US instead of roaming around the world.  World roaming and coping is the part I like best, so I thought this version would be pretty blah.

In the past two episodes, though, the teams roamed York and Lancaster, Pa., and Washington, DC, both areas with which I am very familiar.  They were up and down route 30.  I used to live on route 30!  At one point, a team drove right past the old 6-15 Club in York - my old stomping grounds - I could see the building out the car window!   (But it doesn't seem to be the 6-15 any more.)

I'll have to see Washington again.  It seems to have changed a lot.  When did the capitol building acquire a reflecting pool of its own?  And why?

And how the heck did the contestants, 9 teams, find parking spaces right next to the Lincoln memorial, AND then near the capitol building, AND then mere feet from the tidal basin?  They just zipped right in.  Sorry, I don't believe it.  In my experience, the only way to find a parking place down there is to creep round and round and round until you happen to chance on someone pulling out of a space right in front of you.  And then you're not going to hop right back into the car and search for another space somewhere else!  Not THAT day, anyway.
 
~~Silk

No comments: