Sunday, October 23, 2005

#410 Dragging Tail.


I got next to no sleep Wednesday or Thursday nights, and Friday wasn't enough to catch up.  Then there was the outing last night, where I got to bed about 6:30 am.  I figured I could sleep into the day today and finally make up for my dissolute recent past.

I forgot something important.

There was an auction last night.  I had gone to the preview Friday evening, and had left absentee bids on a few items.  If an absentee bid actually wins anything, the auctioneer will call Sunday morning, and then you have to go to the auction house and pay for and pick up your items by noon.

I won some stuff.  Including an absolutely gorgeous 1880 triple-back carved walnut cameo back sofa, to replace the reproduction cameo sofa in my livingroom.  Gazooks!  I had placed a low bid with no hope of actually winning it! 

And a big box of spectacular huge geodes.  (Christmas presents!)

So bright and early, at 8 am, George called with the good news.  Ack!  What do I do now?  "Will the settee fit in my van?"  "Probably not.  How 'bout we have Don deliver it."  "Ok.  Sounds good."

Get up.  Wash.  Dress, sort of.  Wait for Don to call.

Don called just before 10 am.  On the way.  Truck arrives.  Look in back.  "Where's MY sofa?"  "Um, this one isn't yours?"  "No, that's not the one I bid on.  Mine is the cameo with all the wonderful carved walnut."  "Oh.  Yeah.  We got the wrong item number.  We'll go back and get yours."

Wait for Don to return.

The new sofa was delivered to the basement (pending removal of the other sofa) just before 11 am.  By then I was wide awake, and there was no hope of resuming my beauty rest - not for a while, anyway. 

At 3 pm my eyes were blurring, so I lay down for maybe a nap.  At 3:30 pm I hear the sounds of a vehicle in the driveway.  Doorbell.  Razzelfrats!  Local elections soon.  Two hopeful candidates handing out material.  End of nap.

Sigh.

This late in the day I'd better just try to stay awake until night, or I'll be really messed up tomorrow.  You know, one of those things where you fall asleep at 5 pm and  wake at 5 am and can't figure out whether it's morning or evening or what day it is and the cat insists it's dinnertime and you take her word for it, and then BOTH of you are off schedule.

I guess I'm just having too much fun lately.

~~Silk

No comments: