Monday, October 10, 2005

#396 Bits and Pieces


I just read a news article (which I promptly lost) saying that the pediatricians' academy is now recommending that after their first month, infants should be put to bed with a pacifier, that a pacifier will prevent the too-deep sleep that can lead to SIDS.

That reminded me that I had never needed a pacifier for Daughter - she had discovered her thumb and could consistently find it within her first three weeks.  I had (have!) an amazing kid!

--------------------------------------

I am upset about the earthquakes, but what's more upsetting is the relaxed news coverage, even in the newspapers.  Where are the desperate calls for donations?  Even on the internet, they are still mostly for Katrina.  I guess it's just too hard to get the good photos and films, huh?  Not as convenient as a tsunami, I suppose.  So we're not going to get as excited....  Bleck.

--------------------------------------

Rain.  We've had over a foot of rain since Friday night, and there's more coming.  I'm tired of rain.  (And to think I once almost married a man from Tacoma.)  There was so much wind the antenna on the roof got turned and the TV reception is screwed up.  The driveway is covered with slippery leaves and twigs. 

I haven't walked since Thursday.  Yeah, I could go to the mall and walk there, or I could unearth the treadmill in the bedroom.  Working on the latter.  It's buried under and behind four-foot stacks of fabric and trims and costume pieces.  Ran out of storage containers, so I have to go to the mall anyway for more.  May as well walk while I'm there.  Too depressed by the rain to go to the mall.  Vicious cycles.  Sigh.

Plus I cut my hair to shoulder length just before the rains came, so without the weight to pull it down, it's a mass of fuzz.  Ok, let's put a positive spin on it - a heap of fluff.  Doesn't sound any better....

--------------------------------------

Yesterday I filled 11 storage containers to go to the basement.  Now I have to make room in the basement.

-------------------------------------

You know how I get annoyed with people who use words without considering what they mean?  Hey, folks, it's not "Marshal (or Marshall) Law"!  It's "martial law", "martial" as in military, like in "court martial".   I'm getting tired of reading everywhere about "Marshal Law" in New Orleans.

And incidentally, "Marshal" is the law enforcement officer.  "Marshal law" is sort of what you had BEFORE the martial law was imposed.  "Marshall" is a person's given or family name.

Whoa.  Can you tell the rain has me in a bad mood?

~~Silk

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Or how about marital law?  I've seen that one, too!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I've seen "marital", too, but less often.  I stubbornly cling to the faint hope that THAT one is a typo.     On the other hand, I often see "martial" in references to divorce matters  ("martial property" e.g.), and it cracks me up.   ~~Silk