Wednesday, June 1, 2005

#229 Errand Day

Today:

Washed my hair.

Paid some bills.

Left the house about 1 pm.  Took some checks to the bank. 

Stopped in at a financial & tax advisor's office in the village.  Half of my portfolio is concentrated in three companies, and that's not good.  It didn't start out that way, but over the past couple of years, several oil companies have combined, and all of a sudden I'm too concentrated.  Also, my DBA has been officially notified that I have to start filing sales tax stuff (even though I haven't sold anything yet), and since I can call it a business expense, I think I'll just turn it all over to someone else to handle.  I gave them enough info to get started on both issues, another appointment to follow.

I had bought a copper doumbek (mid-eastern drum) from some folks in North Carolina through Amazon, and when it arrived it had a different, not as nice, etched design on the body.  It was a decent drum, and if I had paid less for it I'd keep it, but for what I paid I ought to get the look I selected.  I complained, and they sent me a pre-paid UPS return sticker, so I packed up the drum and took it to the UPS customer center in Kingston.

Went to Wal-mart and bought some yarn, some sandals with 2" heels, and more storage containers.

Had dinner at the TGIF next to the mall.  Coconut shrimp.

Grocery store for iced tea.

Got home at 8pm, and found a phone message from my garbage collectors.  "It is important that you call us immediately..."  I used to pay every other month, but my old collectors sold this route to another company.  Looking at my "bills ledger" this morning, I noticed that I hadn't paid for garbage collection for several months.  When the first bill didn't come, I assumed that the new company was on a different billing schedule.  When it didn't arrive two months later, I thought maybe they billed quarterly.  When I noticed this morning that it's four months since I expected a bill, I thought I'd call them - but surprise! ... having never received a bill, I don't have a formal name, address, or phone number for them!  So I'm glad they called.  I'll call them tomorrow.

Got a note from Zig, he wants me to recommend an ethnic restaurant in Kingston for the August dinner.  Yeah, sure.  The only time anymore that I eat in fancy restaurants is THOSE dinners! So any I'd know of are already crossed off the list.

Got a note from the Mensa New Orleans AG committee.  Apparently I volunteered to work at the registration desk (did I do that?!  Oh, yeah.  I remember.  Since I'm going alone and I don't know anyone else who's going, I figured if I worked at registration, I might see someone I know checking in.)  So they want me to sign up for specific hours.  I'll have to check the programs schedule to find some "free" time.

~~ Silk

No comments: