Thursday, June 9, 2005

#244 Good Writing

I don't write in my journal to "write".  I don't consider myself a writer.  I think my writing is very dull, dry.  Like I'm filling in a report or something.  I'm also too wordy.  About the only thing I've got going for me is the technical stuff.  I'd probably get an "A" in grammar and spelling. 

I read other people's journals, and I marvel at the humor, the way they can turn a phrase, how they can paint a detailed picture with so few words, how they can threaten their children with dire punishments that leave me giggling off and on for hours.   For an example of what I mean, see http://journals.aol.com/angieabk/Livingjustoffthestrip/entries/1219.  There's something very Erma Bombeck about her.

I can't do that.  And yet, most of the emailed comments I get in response to my entries start with "I love the way you write!" (the same sentence, almost as if it's the same person commenting over and over with different screen names). 

What is there to love?  Are these the same people who would love police reports?

I'm not fishing for compliments.  I'm also not rejecting your compliments.  I'll accept and appreciate what I can get (and I figure you must think like me, and that's why it resonates).   I just want folks to know that there IS some good writing out there - and this journal ain't it.

~~Silk

No comments: