Monday, June 6, 2005

#238 False Alarm and Choice Cho

Well, no storm here, yet.  Three of the four local tv stations have interrupted their regular programming to feature their weathermen hopping up and down excitedly and drawing lines on maps for the past two hours.  They are tracking a tornado (nope - no live pictures) and a very nasty storm up around Saratoga Springs.  Seems like all the fuss is pretty far north of here, and heading northeast, so I think we may be ok here.

The fourth tv station has not interrupted programming, they're just running a bottom band.  I think that's funny.  They are the station with most of the afternoon soaps.  They were probably afraid to upset the Days of Our Lives fans.  That could be serious!  Worse than the Heidi debacle.

Jay was rather proud that in choosing this house, he ensured that he'd never have to cope with flooding, the most common disaster in this area.  However, we are very vulnerable to wind, like the year we lost more than 20 trees in one evening.   (I still miss the clump in the front yard....)  

If there's a tornado, I have a perfect "tornado hole" in the basement - the well room.  It's all enclosed in cinderblock, and it's under the front porch, so the ceiling is the concrete floor of the porch.  The hard part would be catching the cat.

=====================

I found this from Margaret Cho, in her weblog at http://www.margaretcho.net/blog/blog.htm, as she describes her aunt, and how her aunt destroyed with one look a man who dared to show her a lack of respect.  Her look said: 

"I am more than a goddess. I am more than a queen. I am a woman. I am the portal through which all beings enter. The earth and the sky are in my command. All life belongs to me. It is not enough for you to give me your respect. When you are in my presence, you stand in the church of me. Never forget this, or you will be forever lost."

Oh, I love that!  All women should memorize it!  It is!  Feel it!  Live it! Look it!

~~Silk

No comments: