Sunday, June 26, 2005

#272 Pig Roast; Heat

Another journaler has mentioned a pig roast, which reminded me of the one and only I ever went to.  It was a Washington Metropolitan Mensa event in northern Virginia.  I went with Daughter, who was about 5 years old at the time. 

The hosts had dug a fire pit, and had an electric spit set up over it, on which the pig slowly turned.  And turned, and turned.  They had started it the night before, and it was supposed to be ready to eat about 5 pm-ish.  We guests arrived about noonish, and had a small picnic lunch.  Conversation. Games.  Pig admiration.  More conversation.  More games.  More pig admiration.   The danged thing wouldn't cook.  Maybe the fire wasn't hot enough, I don't know.  But as of 9 pm, when I decided it was time to take Daughter home, only about the outer inch or so was fit to eat, and even that was questionable.  I later heard that the few people who were left ate some at almost midnight.  I have no idea what the hosts did with all the leftover pork.

I am looking forward to the luau in August.   

                                                  ******************
The thermometer in the van tells me what the outside temperature is, but not the inside.  So I bought a little stick-on thermometer to put on the dashboard.  Its top reading was 120 degrees.  Yesterday it got so hot inside the van it blew the bulb off the thermometer.  I should have expected it - last year I left a cigarette lighter in the van, and it exploded.

The house a/c is getting overwhelmed.  I hate ground water heat pump a/c!  It just can't keep up when it gets hot outside.

I'm not helping, either.  The clothes I washed at the laundromat were so soapy, I have been running them through my washer a small batch at a time.  It's been taking two or three rinses to get all the soap out!  One of the  problems with my washer is that the cold water hose and valve are crudded up with hard water salts, so the hot water gushes in, but the cold dribbles.  Which means that everything gets washed/rinsed in hot water, unless I want to carry buckets of cold to dump in.  I've got a laundry room and kitchen full of steam.  Not to mention the heat contribution from the dryer.

Luckily, although heat is an inconvenience, it doesn't bother me.

The thunder is getting louder.  Time to unplug the PC.

~~ Silk

Link above:  http://journals.aol.com/johnmscalzi/bytheway/entries/2008

No comments: