Wednesday, June 8, 2005

#242 Four Questions

(The questons are rhetorical.  That means, like, you know, they don't require a response.  Thanks anyway.)

How Many Lightbulbs Do I Need?

The original question was how many lightbulbs, and how many are on now.  I think a more interesting question is how many of my 103 are burned out.  Of the three in the den, two are burned out.  Of the four in the hall, two are dead.  Of the four in the foyer, three are dead, and so on all over the house.  I guess having more light fixtures than any reasonable person could need allows one to ... not need most of them. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mensans Are Smart!" or "Mensans Are Smart?"  You Decide.

There's a guy named Joe who is the auctioneer at the Mensa annual gatherings' auctions to raise money for the education and research foundation.  Mostly he auctions little things like stuffed animals and souvenirs. 

At a few points during the auction, he will ask a bidder to donate a dollar, or a five dollar bill, which he then proceeds to auction off !  The record so far is over $1100 bid and paid for a five dollar bill.

Smart? or Smart!  You tell me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Unquestionably Stupid!  But Her?  Or Me?

In the early ''70s I was the editor of a monthly newsletter for a women's group in Saint Louis.  The newsletter had a household hints column, and every month, in an attempt at humor, I included some perfectly obviously ridiculous hint.

One spring month, the bogus hint was how to differentiate between the desirable seedlings in your garden, and the weeds.  It went something like this:  "Grasp the stem of the questionable plant firmly at the base between your forefinger and thumb, and give it a sharp tug.  The good plant will pop right up out of the ground.  The weed will resist and remain firmly planted."

It's true, incidentally.  It does work that way.

At the next luncheon, a woman stormed up to me and demanded an apology.  She said she had followed the directions and it had completely devastated her garden.  She used some very  nasty words.  She  threatened to sue.  I thought she was joking, and laughed.  She wasn't.

I was glad I hadn't included the hint about removing wine stains from linens with hydrochloric acid.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Depression or Inertia?

The classic definition of depression involves not enjoying things you used to enjoy.  I'm not sure whether I'm depressed or not.  When I actually get up off my duff and go somewhere or do something, I enjoy it thoroughly.  The problem is in getting up and doing.  It all just seems like too much trouble.  It's easier to put it off.

There's a friend in central NJ whom I haven't seen in 40 years.  I'd like to bop down there and drop in at her office, see if she recognizes me.  2.5 day trip.  Easy.

I'd like to explore Saratoga.  One day trip.

I'd like to visit Ausable Chasm, and take the raft ride through it.  A day trip.

I've never been to high mountain New England.  Maybe a four day trip.  A little more complicated because of the cat, but easily doable.

Jay's father owes me a trip to the Rochester zoo.  I know we'd both enjoy the day. A 2.5 day trip.  If I wait even a few weeks or months longer, there is a possibility he might not be able to handle it.

And so on.

On a larger level, I'd like to rent or buy a small RV (camper) and just drive, northern route to the west coast, then a southern route home.  Visit the sights along the way.  Maybe a month or two.  Or more.  Miss Thunderfoot can go along.

I've been putting all this off for three years.  If I keep putting it off, it will all drift away.

There's also the problem of figuring out what I really want.

Like I "want" to get more exercise.  But do I really?  Or do I just know that I should want to. 

Like I "want" to beat the house into submission.  But do I really?  Or do I just know that I can't have company until I do, so I have to.  But do I really want company?  Am I using the mess as an excuse not to have company?

Like I "want" to go on those trips.  But do I really, or do I just think that I ought to?

I don't know what I want.

Is that depression?  If not, is there a better word than inertia?  Lazy?

Sigh.

Even this entry exists to avoid actually doing anything.

~~Silk

No comments: