Monday, June 6, 2005

#237 Tornado!

I have signed up for online weather alerts, and got a email earlier this morning warning of a severe thunderstorm heading this way.  They just sent another - for tornados! 

It's 88 degrees on the thermometer on the front door window, and that's in the shade.  Clear skies.  Bright sun.  Very strange. 

Yesterday it got to 87 in the house, so I gave up and switched to the air conditioning.  The string I had tied on the valve I need to open had disappeared (stolen by a nesting mouse?), so I had to trace all the heat pump pipes again.  I changed all the switches upstairs, swapped the baffles (if I ever sell this house I'll have to write a book on the heat-A/C system for the new owners), opened the water input and exit, and went back upstairs and waited.  Nothing happened.  Went back downstairs and traced the pipes again.  Finally remembered I also had to switch the circuit breaker.  Maybe I should write that book for myself!

It's funny how the heat builds in this house.  It rises gradually all day, then AFTER the sun goes down, it rises much higher much faster.  So at sundown yesterday, it was about 80 in the house, which doesn't bother me.  But by 10 pm it was 87.  I had windows open, but it wasn't helping.  That's when I turned the A/C on.

I think it's from heat buildup in the attic.  Jay and I had bought a heat-triggered exhaust fan which Jay was going to install, but it required that a hole be cut in the gable, and Jay never got to it.  So it's still sitting up there on the floor.  I'm sure it would make a big difference.  I'll have to find someone to put it in.

TV just started a crawl across the bottom of the screen.  Nickel-sized hail headed this way.  I think I'll unplug the PC now ....

~~Silk

No comments: