Sunday, June 5, 2005

#236 Bad Hair

Another topic going around AOL Journals - bad hairdos.

In my great age-acquired wisdom (snort), I have decided that any hair style that requires

• more than 10 minutes fussing per day,

• the services of a salon for anything more than cutting,

• any products other than those necessary to launder it or tie it up,

no matter how good it may look, is a bad hair style. Period.

Green-eyed red-headed Irish-descent lasses, and southern European women, who have heads of froth should go with it. It fits! Cool Nordic, Asian, and native American types with straight hair that swings and flips with every move should flaunt it. I feel especially bad for all those women of African descent who feel they have to torture their hair, themselves, and their budgets to have an acceptable look. In my opinion, the best look on a Black woman is a well-shaped natural afro, if that’s the way her hair wants to go, tight or loose, short or long, shaped or pulled back in a pouf. Natural untortured African hair is amazingly soft. That quality should be played up.

The genes that determine your facial features and your hair characteristics are closely related. They are designed by Nature to go together. Why can’t we be happy with it? Why do so many want exactly the opposite?

All anyone really needs is a good simple cut that takes into consideration the hair's temper (not that easy to get these days), and an occasional washing.

Disclaimer:  This message comes to you from a woman with a wild badly-cut fuzzy mop. I guarantee that fussing with my hair takes up very little of my day. When my hair looks especially ... um ... enthusiastic (Oooo! Look how full and fluffy I am!  Sproing!   Bzzzz-zap!), I just try to humor it and smile more that day.  Full fuzzy fluffy hair goes with my full fuzzy fluffy face.  We get along just fine. 

~~ Silk

No comments: