Sunday, September 4, 2005

#344 On my walk today...

I stopped at the deli on the highway to get some iced tea.  I was sitting on the edge of the flower border drinking the tea, when I noticed something shiny in front of my feet.  I picked it up.  It was a large, brand new, unblemished embroidery needle. 

What's a needle doing in a deli parking lot?  An embroidery needle, at that.  Isn't there some portent or omen connected with finding a new needle where no needle should be?   I tried to search the internet, but all I can find has to do with dream interpretation, which is very different.  All I can remember is that finding a real needle ties in with the spider totem, having to do with weaving, tying up, connecting, that sort of thing.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday the kid who's clearing the land below me stopped by to ask if I would let him run his underground electric service through my woods.  It's shorter for him to tap in at the top of the hill than to go down to the highway.  I said ok, as long as the electric company doesn't think they have an easement.  His lawyer will work up some kind of agreement, which I will consider.  In exchange, he'll clear the undergrowth from his trench to my driveway, which would be very nice.

So then I got to thinking, if it's shorter to run his line through my lot, just how far up his hill is he planning to build?  Ick!  If he's very high, he could cut off my view.  I'll still get the mountains (unless he's over two stories and an attic), but I'll lose the farmland.  So when I passed his lot after leaving the deli, I walked up his drive to see if I could figure out where he plans to put the foundation.  There's a cleared graded spot pretty far up, but off to one side.  I'll know better after the leaves fall, so I can see the relationship better.  If it's where I think it is, I may lose seeing the fireworks in Saugerties, but not much more.

I can live with that.

~~Silk

No comments: