Monday, September 19, 2005

#370 Horrid Horrid Horrid! Horrid!


I'm sitting here with a rock turning somersaults in my stomach, and tears on the verge.  I may throw up. 

On 9/12 I had received a chatty email from a friend of 40+ years.  In the middle of the note was this line: "I'm dealing with a horrid situation here.  I'll write more this week if I can and fill you in.  You can start the prayer wheels (or whatever) in your area."  It worried me more than a little.  The "if I can" scared me.  But whatever he wants to tell me, and when, is up to him.  So I waited.

Yesterday I was going through saved email responding to friends to whom I owed notes, and I considered asking him what was up, but then I noticed that the week wouldn't be up until today, and I didn't want to push, so I thought I'd wait until today and send him a mild virtual slap on the wrist query, "don't keeping me hanging".

When I opened my email today, the first thing I saw was a note from somebody else, a stranger, with my friend's name in the subject line.  I was afraid to open the note.  I thought "Oh my God, the rabbi's dying!" 

It's worse.

My friend councils and ministers to youth.  These days, I probably don't have to go any further.  You can guess what has happened.  What he has been accused of is situationally and environmentally impossible (leaving aside even his personality and honesty), but that doesn't matter.  The mere accusation has loosed the juggernaut, and there's no stopping it.

My friend has been suspended, with pay for the moment, but that will end soon.  He is allowed no contact with his congregation or with any youth while the accusation is being examined.  The stranger who sent the note is one of his many supporters, who is asking people to send letters of support to his superiors.   Many of his flock and parents of children he has worked with have already done so.

I want to help, but having not seen him in 40 years, I don't see where I can testify in his behalf with any credibility.  The man has a solid gold heart, and I would trust him with my life, but I don't think that will go far in the current situation.  I worry because something like this is not a case of innocent until proven guilty - in these situations one is guilty until proven innocent, and it is next to impossible to prove a negative. 

I am sick to my stomach, that this could happen to someone so true, whom I admire so much.  The world is just plain sick. 

~~Silk

No comments: