Saturday, September 24, 2005

#375 The Mink, the Bomb, and the Ribs!


Went to an auction preview with a friend last night.   The auction is tonight, and I've got my eye on an African wrought iron screen and a mink and fox jacket (hush, Daughter!  It's beautiful, fits as if it were made for me, and is exactly the same color as my hair).

After the preview, we crossed the river and he helped me pick out a DVD player/recorder.  I was so happy to have someone to help who knew what all those words on the box meant.

Then we went to dinner.  He found the absolute best barbecue ribs in the state, I swear!   The parking lot for the place smelled wonderful.  I now have a new favorite rib place.  And he didn't even know that ribs are my favorite thing.   I could really get to appreciate this guy.

After dinner, he was very patient while I called The Rabbi, a prearranged time because The Rabbi's hard to catch otherwise.  It was so great to talk with him.  He sounds ok, holding up well, but I didn't feel I could talk long with him, we could have gone on for an hour or more, but my friend was sitting there trying not to listen, so we'll set up another good time to call when we can really indulge ourselves.

We were supposed to go to a movie next, but we got to talking, and that pretty much used up the next five hours.  None of the movies we could find in the local paper were all that compelling anyway.

Oh, almost forgot.  When we went to the mall to look for the DVD player, the parking lot was almost empty, and there was a whole bunch of people in red shirts standing together at the far end of the lot.  Further down, there was a large bunch in blue shirts.  Then another bunch all wearing the same colors.  Clusters of people.  Hmmmm.  Union meetings?  Everybody on break at the same time?  Nope.  Bomb threat! 

Shortly after we arrived, the police finished whatever it is they do, and people were allowed back in the mall.  I hope there's something in today's paper about it.

Oh, and I almost forgot - he was supposed to pick me up a little after 3 pm.  I was ready at three, so I started walking down the street, figuring I would meet him along the way.  Halfway down the street, I was watching a school bus that had pulled into a driveway (school bus in driveway? How does one get that service?) and I must have stepped on a small rock with my narrow wedge-heeled sandals, because the next thing I knew I was literally heels over head somersaulting down a shallow grass bank.  I wish I could remember how I fell, because it must have been spectacular!  The only thing I remember is that at one point, I was on the back of my shoulders with the rest of my body straight up in the air and my skirt down around my chest. Naturally, it was at that moment he turned the corner onto my street.  He didn't see the fall, but found me sitting slightly stunned on the grass.  Cute.  Way to make a ladylike impression.

I ended up with a skinned left knee, both elbows and palms slightly skinned, right ankle achy, and now I can't turn my head to the right without my neck complaining.  Probably a strained muscle.  There doesn't seem to be any permanent damage.

Except perhaps to my image....

~~Silk
Link in this entry:
http://journals.aol.com/jaykolb/Moraine/entries/1672

No comments: