Sunday, September 11, 2005

#355 Ashokan


I went to a Mensa Gathering at a woodsy campground (lodge for meals, segregated bunkhouses, that sort of thing) near the Ashokan reservoir yesterday.  The gathering was actually Friday evening to Sunday noonish, but I went just for the day yesterday. 

I had set my alarm for 5:30 am, but screwed up again and it was actually set for 5:30 pm, so I didn't get there until 11.  Missed breakfast and the morning hike.  I could do without breakfast, but I was sorry to miss the hike.

I had a moment of panic when I walked out the front door and realized I hadn't been there in like 8 years or more, and I wasn't sure I could find the place.  Everyone I might call was probably already there, and they don't carry cell phones.  So I just set out for the reservoir and hoped for the best.  I found the grounds from my house just fine - every turn, when I got to it, was familiar.  However, it took me a good 45 minutes to locate the lodge from the parking lot!

There were a few speakers, and some good food, a trip out on the pond in a canoe, a walk in the woods and the discovery of a rustic campground with a sweat lodge and longhouse and the remains of a dugout canoe, and at the end of the evening a campfire with marshmallows.

Almost all the time was spent with Roman, away from the rest of the group.  (Yes, that was him on last Thursday's walk, too.)  We seem to be learning to appreciate each other more.  Because of some past unfortunate experiences, I tend to be a bit skittish around men.  Nobody, but nobody, is ever allowed to touch me casually.  Even friendly hugs are rationed.  But I'm very calm and comfortable with him.  I'm not going to mention him here any more after today.  Part of my mind just went private.

I got home at 3 am.

I am content.

~~Silk

No comments: