Tuesday, September 6, 2005

#348 Jay's Reunion


I was paying some bills when I came across another mailed reminder about Jay's 35th high school class reunion, to be held on 9/16-17.  Jay had been looking forward to it.  He hadn't gone to the 20th (or whenever the previous one was), but since I would be going with him, he very much wanted to attend the next one, to show me his school and maybe introduce me to friends.   If there were any there who remembered him.  Jay was very quiet and shy in high school.  Probably a little weird.

So when the notices started arriving this summer I tried to ignore them, alternating with thinking about going myself.  Then scaring myself and ignoring them again.  But I decided it wasn't fair to say nothing.  After all, when he died, a guy from his high school who DID remember him, and who lives in the next town down the road and saw the obituary in the paper, sent me a very nice condolence note saying that he had liked Jay and wished he had known Jay had lived so close.  Maybe there are more like that guy than Jay thought.

I went to the reunion website, and spent an enormous amount of time composing a message to post.  It was very difficult for me.  A lot of tears, a lot of editing.  I finally finished it, and pressed the "Preview" button ...

... and got a blank screen with  "This system will be back online shortly after some routine maintenance. Thank you for your patience" in a box ...

... followed by enough swearing to send Miss Thunderfoot diving for the cellar stairs.

I don't know if I can do it again, "shortly".  (I will, of course.  For Jay.  If I cry enough for him and me and the world, maybe I'll sleep tonight.  The silver lining to my cloud.)
 
~~Silk

No comments: